Changing password for every personal gadget is always recommended but normally we do not bother much about it. This article will be an easy guide for you on “Netgear wireless router password setup“. Following in this article is an elaborative description on “how to change Netgear wi-fi password“?
Even if you have bought a new NETGEAR router, surely it will be configured with its default factory settings, in any wired case the default username password may become problematic, as it could be hacked or easily accessed by anyone. It’s better to change your password once to make it safe for further use.
Set up Password for Netgear Wireless Router
You might have faced problem while logging in your router or connecting to the internet, whatever the case is, most of the time you need to get into your Netgear’s router account for troubleshooting router-related problems. This article will make you learn about the following three confirmed methods for changing Wi-Fi routers password:
- Changing the Password on Netgear Genie Routers
- Changing the Password on Older Netgear Routers
- Restoring a Netgear Router to Factory Settings
- set up Password for Netgear wireless router
Changing the Password on Netgear Genie Routers
The first method describes changing with Netgear Genie Router, following let’s see, what you need to do:
- Start with Launching an Internet browser installed on your computer.
- In the address bar of the browser type among these Url’s one by one, “http://www.routerlogin.net,” “http://www.routerlogin.com,” “http://192.168.1.1” or http://192.168.0.1.
- Work with any of these, whichever opens successfully.
- Fill in the login details, the default username is set to be “admin” and default passwords is always “password”
- This will let you see the user interface account for your Netgear Genie router.
- Once you are logged in, you will see a tab named “Advanced”.
- Now you can see “Set up” tab in the leftmost corner, its first tab, click on it.
- Click on the immediate next tab named “Wireless Setup”.
- Next, you will see a”wireless setup” window.
- Go to “security options” section.
- There will be a field named “Passphrase”; here you need to delete your current password.
- Now type in & save a new password.
- Click on “Apply” button present at the top of this window.
- Almost done!! The password for your Netgear Genie router has been changed.
Note: If you operate dual router having a 2.4Ghz wireless band and a 5Ghz wireless band, then you need to change the password in each& every specific zone under the “Security Options.”
Next time when you log in to your router, remember to fill in the new password.
Changing the Password on Older Netgear Routers
Set up Password for Netgear wireless router in older versions. Changing the password in an old Netgear router is not difficult rather it’s almost same as discussed above in case of Netgear’s Genie router, let’s see how it goes:
- The first 4 steps are same as described in the previous method. Follow those & proceed to next.
- Once you are logged in your Account, you will see the
- Smart Wizard program for your Netgear router.
- In the left panel of the Smart Wizard look for “Set UP” option. Click on this.
- Next, you will see a tab “Wireless Settings”. Click on this tab.
- In the wireless setting window, you will see a tab with name “Wireless Security”.
- By clicking on “Wireless security” a new window will pop up.
- Delete current password showing up in the field “Passphrase”
- Add the new password.
- Click on “Save settings” to exit this window.
- Click on “Apply” button in the main window.
- Then you may log out your Netgear router’s account.
- The password change job complete now.
Restoring a Netgear Router to Factory Settings
- Look at the back side of your router.
- You will see a label “Reset” and a very tiny button placed next to it.
- Press this button & keep pressing for next 20-30 seconds.
- You need to wait until the “Power” LED or “Test” LED starts to blink.
- Once you see the LED’s blinking, release the button.
- The router will automatically reboot. Try logging in your Netgear’s router and follow the password setting process as mentioned in the above 2 methods.
You can also refer to our article in case of “Netgear wi-fi password hack” or “forgot Netgear password“. The given methods are tried & sure shot to fix your entire Netgear password related issues.
If any bad day, you got stuck at any step or feel confused and none of the above-given methods resolves your set up Password for Netgear wireless router issue, feel free to contact our technical team at toll-free number 877-213-7013. Contact us for any other issues related to your Netgear Wifi router or extender. Hire best Netgear Router technician today!